Friday, February 14, 2020

Friday Author Spotlight Interview - Curtis Cooper

https://www.extasybooks.com/curtis-a-cooper/
http://curtisacooper.com


Interview

If you had the opportunity to live anywhere in the world for a year while writing a book that took place in that same setting, where would you choose? Phuket Thailand. Loved the water, so clear I could see the bottom of the ship. Nothing like an island romance or
even suspense. . . with romance in it, of course.

How do you come up with names for your characters? I tried going back and forth from A, Z, B, Y, etc once. Normally I just pick one out of thin air, though I have been known to use past. . . way past, acquaintances names. My work in progress uses my son’s dentist’s last name. It determined my character’s nationality too

Give a shout-out to a fellow author. I’d say Hi to VJ Allison. She is always willing to help out other authors, by making people aware of their books

What would the logline be for your book? My current story, The Reluctant Private Eye would have – A widow searches for her husband’s killer and with the help of a young, handsome man uncovers a security conspiracy while running from the law, framed for another murder

What is your favorite word, and why? Never really thought about one I would like over another

Describe your writing space. My writing space is the driver’s seat of my SUV. I go to work about 45 minutes early and write before I go inside. I think I’m most creative at that time of day. Thank goodness for car heaters. Typing space is a dilapidated table with w computer monitor sitting on top of a thesaurus and a clipboard stand with a gooseneck light attached at the top. This is my spot after I get home from work. I do my chapter typing and editing in the evening.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite? I’ve written 10 novels, and about to submit my first novella. I also have three short stories under my belt. My favorite has to still be my break out novel “Straight from the Heart.” I poured my heart into it.

What is the most surprising thing you discovered while writing your book(s)? The beginning and ending often are fixed, but everything in between is fluid and more often than not, my characters lead me, not the other way around

Do you have a favorite character that you have written? If so, who? And what makes them so special. Interestingly enough, I have a secondary character that appears in all three of my Heart series books. She is the owner of the Oxford coffee shop. Pam is wise, honest, helpful to a fault, and treats her employees as family, bizarre as some of them are.

Are there any secrets from the book (that aren’t in the blurb), you can share with your readers? I used a torture technique that I saw in an original Hawaii Five-O episode. I’ve never let this info be known before now.

Does one of your main characters hold a special place in your heart? If so, why? In my latest story, no. But Markie in Straight from the Heart is a very special person. I put her through some highs and one of the deepest downward spirals I’ve created, yet she came out on top. And she didn’t do it all on her own.

Are you working on anything at the present you would like to share with your readers about? I’m working on a novella for the “Noted” folder of Extasy. On a Side Note is about a young woman who purchases an antique desk (the desk I based it on is one I own that was built by my great great great great grandfather) and finds a note inside it, causing her to want to find the previous owner and maybe the link to the one who built it. I chose the title for a reason.

How many plot ideas are just waiting to be written? Can you tell us about one? I am contemplating a fourth in the Heart series. As with the other three, there will be new main characters. This one will center around a divorced woman and a new owner of the coffee shop. Pam will still be in the story, though

What do you like to do when you are not writing? We have a cabin out of town that has a creek. It’s nice to get away to. I also like woodworking, and I do some baking

What is your favorite curse word? You won’t find any in my stories. I
believe that there are other ways to make a point. Of course, it didn’t help when I was a lot younger and my kids were barely speaking and my son might drop something and say “Shit, Goddamn!” It got a grin out of me, but it was an embarrassing smile. I knew exactly where he got it.

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Musician. Loved the drums growing up, but had a neighbor who didn’t. The one biggest reason why I’ll never again live in a mobile home park.

What profession would you not like to do? Dairy farmer. Couldn’t get past the smell.


If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Come in.


~~~



Come Find Me!


Don't have a Kindle, no problem. I've got you covered! Read eBooks on your phone, tablet and computer no Kindle Needed!