Thursday, June 8, 2017

Television A to Z - The Badass B's!


So this is my version of the A to Z Challenge. I am listing the shows having the biggest impact on me, not necessarily the best shows in each category. I thought they were the best when I was watching them. 

See the whole list of B's Here!

Burn Notice (2007-2013)

Michael Westen, a seasoned U.S. spy, is suddenly "burned", i.e. discredited, without any form of procedure. He survives by doing impossible jobs for desperate people in Miami, where his mother lives. Michael is usually aided by his ex-girlfriend Fiona and trusted former FBI informer Sam. Written by KGF Vissers

Burn Notice is in the top five of my all-time favorite shows. It was among a cluster of hit shows on the USA network in the mid-2000’s. All a part of what was happily known as Blue Sky Entertainment – USA network’s house style, favoring “aspirational, upbeat characters” and “a blue-skies feel.” In other words: Rather than making brooding action series set in grimy warehouses or nerve-wracking medical dramas set in crumbling city hospitals, USA put wisecracking, hopeful professionals in resort communities, where they could do their work and maybe sip the occasional tropical drink by the beach. Several series were associated with this premise, almost all will be on my list. Burn Notice is my favorite and the first. 

Despite the life and death scenarios, Burn Notice is always upbeat, playful, sarcastic, and off-beat which is why I loved it. I can still watch any episode in reruns with fondness and my total attention. I have even binged watched several seasons when in the mood for some ass-kicking, intelligent fun! Chek out Burn Notice ASAP or you will regret missing it!


The Bionic Woman (1976-1978)

Jaime Sommers, a tennis pro, suffers a parachuting accident. She is saved by a special surgery replacing her ear, an arm and both legs with bionic ones. Now she works as a secret agent hidden as a school teacher. Written by Michel Rudoy <mdrc@hp9000a1.uam.mx>

One of the first shows I remember clearly growing up. I was only 2 at the time and I probably am remembering the reruns. However, the show and its concept of a woman hero were amazing and inspiring. I especially loved when The Bionic Man would make an appearance and the romance was blossoming! I have such fond memories of the original show I remember watching the many remakes and television made movies, including the one with a very young Sandra Bullock (how many of you knew that??) A treasure for all time, the Bionic woman looked to a bright future and gave us some action along the way!



A young woman is forced to fulfill her destiny of fighting vampires and demons with the help of her friends all the while struggling to live a normal teenage life of heartbreak and drama.

Another show in my top ten of all time. Joss Whedon, known for Marvel fame, started with this amazing show. It didn’t start off amazing but it grew and expanded. I have watched the entire series several times. My two favorite episodes will always be Hush and Once More with Feeling.  So many many amazing moments for all of the characters. Lots of unexpected arches – like Willow going dark, Buffy and Spike, Dawn and Mrs. Sommer’s expected but unexpected demise. I could write novels about the show and never cover everything. So if you have not experienced Buffy, give it a go. You will not be disappointed!




Come Find Me!

Don't have a Kindle, no problem. I've got you covered! Read eBooks on your phone, tablet and computer no Kindle Needed!