Every Super Hero has a moment when the tide turns in their favor, the story climaxes all of the pieces fit into place and the circle is complete. Usually this is when they set their sights on righting the wrongs and stopping the villain once and for all. Then they get this look, the -- okay, you want to play, let’s go, bring it on! In this moment, they know, you know, and the villain probably has an inkling as well, the hero is going to win and there is nothing you can do to stop him.
"Tell Me No, I Dare You", is my way of laying a challenge out to all those who will oppose me. I have my dreams, aspirations, motivators and or goals. There will be obstacles in achieving them, but I will prevail and I will do it using all of the weapons in my arsenal.
Warning though, don’t become too with your superpowers, always play to win.
Confidence is the key, and part of that confidence is knowing your personal code, aka your Super Hero code. A personal code, to me, is a list of parameters you will live within, strive for and even defend. The outline of who you want to be, to yourself and those around you.
The revelation of my personal code came when I read a fabulous book, “Guts!: Companies that Blow the Doors off Business-as-usual”. First, love the title because it sums up the requirement for anything you want in life. It is all there for the taking, you just have to have the guts to go for it! My hope is to help you discover your superpower-- and you do have one-- and empower you with the guts to go after everything you want. I have my code tacked to my bulletin board at work and I find myself looking at more often than naught. It reminds me of who I am, what I am about, and how powerful I am. I like to think my heroes live by the same code and I am probably right.
- Stand up and people will stand with you
- If you messed up, fess up
- The answer isn’t “I don’t know”, it is “I will find out”
- Admit you will never know it all, there is always something to be learned
- The only constant is change
- Your gut is never wrong
- To cut a corner is to lose the journey
- Do it right, or don’t do it
- Coincidence is denial, not an exception
- What you push out always comes back to shove you
So now I have an assignment for you, what is your code? List out the things you live by, and for, every day. Now take a moment to think about what each of these statements means to you. Life experience makes the meaning different for each individual. The meanings will also change with age. A statement may mean something to you now, and have a different meaning later on in your life.
Now take each of these statements and change them into an "I Will."
- I will fight for what I believe in
- I will admit my mistakes, and learn from them
- I will strive to know the answers
- I will always embrace a different point of view
- I will strive to adapt
- I will trust myself
- I will accept every challenge with open arms
- I will never accept less than my best from myself
- I will get up when I fall
- I will always deliver results with honesty, integrity and confidence
Every hero survives because of a core strength built on a personal code, like the one we just did. The code lay close to their heart and are what guide them, protect them and in the end save them. Read what you wrote. How amazing are you? These are the reasons you are strong, these are the reasons you will survive no matter what. These are the reasons you can look a challenge in the eye and say "Bring on your worst!"